Upcoming Community Events/Workshops:
- Roommate i-Match Expo | September 20, 2018 | 9:30am – 3:30pm
- Loudoun County Mental Health, Substance Abuse & Developmental Services (MHSADS) 906 Trailview Boulevard SE, Leesburg, VA 20175 in the Aspen Room
- The Northern Virginia Housing & Supportive Services Team invites individuals in the Settlement Agreement population and others with a disability who are looking for a roommate or who have a room to rent, their families, support coordinators and/or service providers to the Expo.
- The Expo will be split into AM and PM sessions with a lunch of pizza and drinks provided by Loudoun County MHSADS. Participants can attend one or both sessions. More information here.
- Frontiers in Autism Research Symposium | September 21, 2018 | 7:30am – 1:30pm | Falls Church Marriott Fairview Park, Falls Church, VA
- Join the community at the 4th annual Frontiers in Autism Research Symposium on Friday, September 21st. The program is open to all at no cost, and breakfast and lunch will be provided. This program will feature groundbreaking research as well as a keynote speaker.
A Case for Inclusion: United Cerebral Palsy 2015 Report
See how well each State Medicaid program serves Americans with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families.
National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities www.nichcy.org
National Center for Learning Disabilities www.ncld.org
From NCLD – Understanding Section 504
From the government http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/504faq.html
And on Wrightslaw: http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/sec504.index.htm
IDEA 2004 (the law that governs special education): http://idea.ed.gov/
Special Education Law Links
Restraint and Seclusion of Students with Disabilities
- Fact Sheet: Restraint and Seclusion of Students with Disabilities
- Colleague Letter: Restraint and Seclusion of Students with Disabilities
General Information about Parent’s & Student’s Rights Under VA Law
- 2010 Parent’s Guide to Special Education (VA)
- Wrights Law
- Extended School Year Services (ESY) Resource Document
Decision Making at Age 18
- Transfer of Rights Upon Reaching the Age of Majority in VA (including sample Power of Attorney for Educational Decisions)
Social Security and Disability Benefits
- The complete guide to social security and disability benefits: http://backgroundchecks.org/the-complete-guide-to-social-security-disability-benefits.html
Behavior & Discipline
- Guidance Document on Manifestation Determinations
- Great info about going to college if you have a disability!
- Great support for college bound students:
- This link is for “AllergyEats—your guide to allergy friendly restaurants” http://www.allergyeats.com/
- Loudoun Allergy Network: http://www.loudounallergynetwork.org/
- Rep Payee FAQ’s http://www.ssa.gov/payee/faqrep.htm
- Rep Payee Descriptions http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ssi/text-repayee-ussi.htm